Oh shoot! All my fellow readers from the USA are gone!
Anyway, for the 30% (now 100%!) or so of the readers from outside the USA still here...
|When in doubt, read it out.|
Yeah, that was a pretty intensely dorky sentence. Moving on to the real meat of the update.
So where am I with the current project?
Revisions with the master plan have already taken place. I was originally planning on dremeling down the rub zones, such as the knee, shoulder and elbow joints, on the figure, and then taking it apart. Well, I tried that but the dremel had a hard time getting the joints without rubbing on the rest of the figure. I didn't do much damage, but I noticed that things were not going according to plan.
So an alteration is in order:
1. dremel down the the rub points in the shoulders, elbows, hips and knees.
2. disassemble the figure, including removing the lower legs/arms from the upper legs arms through the use of a hair dryer.
OUTDATED. DELETE OBSOLETE INSTRUCTIONS. OVERWRITE.
1. disassemble the figure, including removing the lower legs/arms from the upper legs arms through the use of a hair dryer.
2. dremel down the the rub points in the shoulders, elbows and knees.
PLAN ALTERATION COMPLETE.
|Score one for the The Corps action figures: |
They are easy to take apart.
|My wife's hairdryer to the rescue!|
Thankfully, I have done enough research about taking action figures apart to know there are two good and worthwhile methods to use here: either heat a joint with a hairdryer or put the pieces in a cup of water that has been in the microwave for a minute or so. Because it seemed the hairdryer method would be easier to use if I needed to reheat the plastic, I went with that.
|Protect your digits. Don't put them in front |
of streams of super hot air from hairdryers.
Instead, put plastic held by clothespins in front
of steams of super hot air from hairdryers.
Another tool that helped to pop the joints apart was my Eklind multihex key tool. These are great little tools that can be found for about $2 or $3 at the hardware store. I used the smallest hex key on my foldout set to pry into the spaces of the joint and push the hot, flexible plastic apart. The smallest tool on my kit was 5/64th inch or thereabouts, and the metal on plastic gave me a lot more leverage than I could have mustered using my fingers and fingernails alone.
|And this little piggy pries plastic |
joints apart all the way home.
Eventually, everything worked just fine. I went to school on the first few joints, and applied what I learned to the rest. Each joint in this action figure was held together by a little peg. The pegs had big end and small end, which will be nice later on because when I reassemble the figure, there is only one way for the pegs to be put back into each joint. I learned quickly that trying to pry the small side of the peg from the joint was a much faster way to take the joint apart than by trying the big side or trying to pry both sides at once. In a few minutes, I had all the joints popped apart.
So that is where I am at the moment. Finals are coming up, and I've got a ton of papers to research for and then write, but I hope to have at least all of the rub areas dremeled down and have an update on the project inside of a week. Take care.
Until next time,