|As easy as this was to do, they look pretty sweet.|
Yeah baby. I'm in it thick now.
Ok ok, its nothing too exciting- one of them was just a head switch, and the other is a head switch with some dremel work. But I think they turned out pretty well.
I ran over to TRU today while doing some errands to see if the Renegades wave was in yet- I haven't had any luck all week finding the new figures, even though it sounds like there are out in a lot of other parts of the country. The TRU I visited did not have them, but they did have almost the entire first wave of the 30th anniversary Joe figure line except for Hazard Viper, but that was cool because I already have that wave. But I got to thinking... man... that Iron Granadier is one cool looking figure. His head is cool, his armor is cool, his weapons are cool... wouldn't it be awesome to see if I could hollow out his helmet and put a Joe head under there so they could run around in an Iron Granadier disguise?
Sgt. Stalker was there too, and I gotta say, this guy has one of the best head sculpts going. He just looks badass. I knew that something would have to happen with his hair to get the idea to work- I'd probably have to use my xacto knife to remove it, but what they hey. So I picked up two Iron Granadiers and one Stalker. I had a Rise of Cobra Duke sitting in a box of figures I had picked up at TJ Maxx not long ago to be used for parts. And say what you want about the movie, I really like the head sculpt of that Duke figure too. I figured I'd try making a Duke in IG costume and a Sgt. Stalker in IG costume, both with removable helmets, and see how it went. Ideally, both would work out, and if I screwed up with one helmet, I'd still have the one more to work with.
|Here they are: after the win but before the fall.|
|I may be an E5 and Duke |
an O4, but he WISHES
he looked this good.
|Mini Sanding Tool is a go!|
|If you don't like it put a black dot on it.|
|Dremel work in progress.|
The dremel tore threw the plastic like a smart phone enabled scalper threw a fully stocked toy store. I used short, brief motions to dremel small portions of the plastic away because I figured that if I held the dremel on the plastic for more than a few fractions of a second, it would slash right threw it. After some progress, I would put the armor back on the figure, and then try Sgt. Stalker's head on the thing, to see how it lined up and where I needed to do additional work.
All in all, it worked out really well. I got the collar chiseled out just right so the hair passed through it where the hair is bound up, and even better, the way the dreadlocks spread out covered the gap int he collar. I also did some dremel work on the handle-looking section of armor that stands out from the back of the figure below the collar line so the hear could rest closer to the back of the figure. Again, I would dremel a bit, then test with the Stalker's head to see where more dremeling was needed, and after a few iterations had a nice set up. Stalker can't really turn his head too successfully in this set up, but he looks pretty cool standing and looking straight ahead.
And that's it! Both Stalker and Duke look great in their new Iron Granadier customs. It didn't take much work to do, but I'm calling this a win on account of the fact it was an original idea that I came up with and it ended up looking sweet, and because I was able to accomplish what I set out to do, and because I got some experience with the dremel and didn't destroy any action figures to the point that I couldn't create what I set out to create with the items I had when I started the project. So- success! Woo!
Until next time.